Sunday, July 5, 2009

An exciting time to be a student in Iran

My friend in Mashad just took his college entry exam. This must have been a challenging time to study for a test! Students have long been the targets of brutality and murder by those seeking to repress dissent in Iran. But even though Basiji recently broke into Tehran University dorm rooms and left a trail of blood, corpses and smashed computers, and similar reports have come from Shiraz--there are still videos being posted to youtube documenting the high spirits of students dissatisfied with the "official" results of this Presidential election.



The song they are singing is Yar-e Dabestani - My Classmate. Here are the lyrics, which I found at the following website. I'm trying to find out what they are chanting, as well, if anyone would like to leave a comment.

http://www.jebhemelli.info/ava/yaredabestani.htm

Yar-e Dabestani - My classmate

Maa Zendeh Be Aaneem Keh Aaraam Nageereem
Mojeem Keh Asoodegee-Y-E-Maa Adam-E-Maast
We are alive by virtue of our restlessness
We are like waves that die through calm
Yar-E-Dabestaanee-Y-E-Man
My old school chum
Baa Man-O-Hamraah-E-Manee
You are with me and along side me
Choob-E-Alefe Barsar-E-Maa
When the cane is weilded over our head
Boghz-E-Man-O-Aah-E-Manee
You cry and hurl with me
Hak Shodeh Esm'e Man-O-Tow
Engraved are the names of you and I
Rooy-E-Een Takhteh Seeyaah
On this black board
Tark-E-Y-E-Beedaad-E-Setam
The scars of the lashes of tyranny
Maandeh Hanooz Roo Tan-E-Maa
Have stayed on our bodies
Dasht-E-Bee Farhang-E-Maa
Our desolate and uncultugreen wilderness
Harz-E Tamaam-E-Alafhaayash
With all of its Shrubbery being but weeds.
Khoob Ageh Khoob Bad Ahgeh Bad
Be it good or bad
Dast-E-Man-O Tow Baayad Een Pardeh Raa Paareh Konad
My hands and your hands have to tear down this curtain
Kee Be Joz Man-O-Tow Dard-E-Maaro Chaareh Konad
Who other than me and you will find the cures to our ills
Yaar-E-Dabestaanee-Y-E-Man..........

No comments:

Post a Comment